There have been many people who have given out fashion advice over the years and much of this advice still resonates today. So, if you have a strong desire to be a dapper and well-dressed gentleman then here are some great quotes from fashion experts that convey much sense and wisdom:
- A man should look as if he has bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care and then forgotten all about them – Hardy Amies
- The difference between style and fashion is quality – Giorgio Armani.
- If you’re not sure whether it looks good on you, it doesn’t – Scott Omelianuk
- Dress up your sportswear and dress down your formalwear – Luciano Barbera
- Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication – Leonardo da Vinci
- The best colour in the world is the one that looks good on you – Coco Chanel
- Fashion fades, style is eternal – Yves Saint Laurent
These quotes show such wisdom and we know deep down that they are true. But how do we achieve such simple sophistication and a timeless style of quality over quantity? There are some classic pieces that every guy should have in his wardrobe. These include slim fit jeans, plain tees, slim fit chinos, a camel overcoat, Chelsea boots, basic knitwear, Oxford button-down shirts and muted shades for sweatshirts. For Mens Farah Shirts, visit http://ejmenswear.com/brands/farah. Here are some more nuggets of expertise for you:
- Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn – Orson Welles
- All it takes are a few simple outfits. And there’s one secret – the simpler the better – Cary Grant
- A man must face the world with sprezzatura. It literally means detachment, but a better way to think of it is quiet confidence or low-key style. The most forceful statement is understatement – Luciano Barbera
- It is totally impossible to be well-dressed in cheap shoes – Hardy Amies
- Know first who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly – Epictetus
The general theme here seems to be that you need to know who you are before you can adopt a long lasting and confident style. Also that there’s no point in ruining a great look with rubbish shoes! Less is more is a concept that has been around a long time so there must be truth in it. It would appear that a few high quality, essential pieces are all that a man’s wardrobe needs.
- Well-dressed men know that nothing worthwhile is ever outmoded, that a superb tailor’s work is ageless – Finis Farr
- Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak – Rachel Zoe
- The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud. – Coco Chanel
- Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way you live – Gianni Versace
- Make it simple, but significant – Don Draper
And that is the essence of what most fashion experts have advised over the years – be simple but significant!